The core goal of marketing is to allow your potential patients to experience your cosmetic surgery brand in a way that will allow them to form a strong and positive connection with your practice. However, the plastic surgery market today is a highly evolved and competitive space. The key to surviving the ever-changing marketing tides is to build exposure by focusing on avenues that allow you to engage and interact with your audience at every stage. Audience participation in brand building in fact can be the difference between succeeding at your marketing game and time spent on failed attempts at brand promotion.
Marketing for your cosmetic surgery practice has three basic goals:
•Attract more patients to your practice
• Boost your practice brand presence
• Increase long term revenue
All of these goals can be met by focusing on increasing audience interaction with your brand and by allowing your audience to interact with your practice in meaningful ways. In addition to pushing your products and services to the edge, brand interaction provides potential patients with unique ways to understand how your practice can benefit them.
Today's consumers are interested in engaging with brands that deliver emotional and thought-provoking experiences. Potential patients will actively associate and align with your practice only when you can showcase brand qualities that are in sync with popular consumer requirements and expectations.
Build your marketing strategies to hit relevant emotional triggers of your audience and you will win their attention. Once you succeed at doing this, you can then focus your marketing to create a buzz about your cosmetic surgery practice services and products.
Interactive Content can Boost Audience Participation
Interactive content breaks the walls of passive consumption as it allows and encourages your audience to engage with the content. Content such as contests, assessments, and quizzes, or games and calculators are hugely popular as they come with a participatory element. Interactive content in addition to being more interesting can also drive constructive engagement; when the key aspects of your content are easy to absorb and display real value it effectively encourages call to action.
Top 5 Advantages of Interactive Content for your Practice
• Highly creative way to present and package your content.
• Effectively delivers new value to your target audience.
• Quality-based interactive content provides your audience with a reusable value (a health calculator or health quiz will deliver varying results based on each individual user's inputs).
• Potential patients can quickly try the interactive content item; this allows them to immediately gauge its value which in turn can help build credibility and trust in your brand.
• Interactive content can provide brands with a lot of information on a prospect; answers provided in a quiz, metrics/values entered in a health calculator are all fodder for personalizing your marketing which in turn can help score leads.
Interacting with your Social Audience
Social engagement is a brand building necessity in today's highly interactive digital space. By 2017 the number of social network users is expected to reach approximately 191.2 million in the United States alone. And while the value of creating quality content cannot be overlooked, social engagement is a marketing must that cosmetic surgery practices cannot afford to ignore.
Top 4 Ways to Encourage Interaction with your Social Audience
Use Free Social Media Listening/Monitoring Tools
Focus on how you can learn what people are saying about your brand—free tools such as Google Alerts, Social Mention, and Hootsuite/TweetDeck make it easy to track and listen to your social media activity.
Go Visual with your Content
Social media and visual content can prove to be a heady mix if used correctly. It can deliver some serious social exposure advantages to your cosmetic surgery practice brand.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
• Give your audience a behind the scenes peek of a new product or service.
• Post photos of a team event or use photos to highlight your team members.
• Share pictures from an industry/public event.
• Ask your fans to share your image in action.
Giveaways, Contests, and Games
Dove's “Real Beauty Should be Shared” contest is a fantastic example of how a brand can bring people from all walks of life together. Contestants were asked to fill in a contest form on why their friend represented real beauty. Contests such as these can provide you with the perfect opportunity to give your marketing an emotional angle. You can however, always start out on a small scale—ask your followers to simply complete an entry form for a chance at winning a product/service discount or you could offer free tickets to a popular social event.
Ask Your Audience Questions
Give your audience a chance at being heard; ask specific questions in your social media posts. This will provide you with an insight into their thinking and their views. Encourage your audience to be a part of important conversations; this is a great way to show you care about their opinions and ideas. Plan a frequent Q&A session on Google Hangouts or other social platforms and ask your followers to ask questions on services and products, or on healthy skincare regimes.
Beat the Generation Gap—Customize your Content for Boomers, Gen Xers, and Millennials
Here are some interesting stats from a Fractl and BuzzStream survey titled “The Generational Content Gap,”
• Boomers (born 1946–1964) spend the most time consuming online content (20+ hours per week).
• Gen Xers (born 1965–1976) and millennials (born 1977–1995) spend around 5-10 hours in a week checking out digital content.
• Boomers lead content consumption on devices such as laptops and desktops while the preferred device of choice for millennials is the mobile.
• Top four types of content preferred by all three generations include blog articles, images, comments, eBooks.
• Favorite content genre for Boomers is entertainment, world news, and politics; favorite content genre for Gen Xers is entertainment, technology, healthy living, world news; top content genres for Millennials is technology, entertainment, healthy living.
• Content that Boomers prefer sharing the most include images and videos; content shared the most by Gen Xers include slideshares while Millennials prefer sharing memes.
Ensuring that your marketing resonates with different generations can be challenging. Each group holds its own set of values and ideas which means you need to understand the specific types of content preferred by your different audience sets.
Customizing each piece of content every single time for the different generation types in your audience can prove to be difficult. A more viable option would be to create your core content with a universal appeal; think how you can provide something of value for everyone. You can then always break down the content at a later stage to address specific issues native to each generation.
Digital marketing has become extremely important over the past couple of years. Consumers prefer to buy products from brands that they follow and engage with online. In fact, the chances of people buying from a brand that they actively participate and engage with online are very high.
As cosmetic surgery practices increasingly move towards adopting a more wholesome approach to online marketing, the need for personal brand engagement and communication with a special emphasis on audience interaction is reaching an all-time high. This is why increasing audience interaction and driving brand engagement should be the bottom line to your digital marketing strategy.
Naren Arulrajah is President and CEO of Ekwa Marketing, a complete Internet marketing company which focuses on SEO, social media, marketing education and the online reputations of Dermatologists and Plastic Surgeons in the US, Canada and the UK.
With a team of 130+ full time marketers, www.ekwa.com helps doctors who know where they want to go, get there by dominating their market and growing their business significantly year after year. If you have questions about marketing your practice online, call Naren direct at 877-249-9666.