Boasting "true star power" with a lineup of international speakers and educational offerings in the ever-expanding field of hair transplant surgery, the 26th World Congress of the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) heads to Hollywood October 10-14.
This year's theme is "When Award Winning Hair Transplant Surgeons Meet." The four-day conference will be held at Loews Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles and is expected to draw nearly 1,000 physicians and their surgical assistants seeking to expand their knowledge of the latest medical and surgical hair restoration therapies.
"At a time when interest in hair restoration surgery is at an all-time high, it is more important than ever for physicians to participate in practice-oriented, scientifically-based educational activities such as those offered by the ISHRS," says Parsa Mohebi, MD, FISHRS, program chair of the 2018 ISHRS World Congress. "The ISHRS conference is designed to be an interactive educational experience, with hands-on courses, workshops and sessions offering ample opportunity for skills-based training and spirited discussion."
While the program includes internationally recognized keynote speakers including Mario E. Lacouture, MD (USA), Antonella Tosti, MD (USA), Apostolos Pappas, PhD (Switzerland), Carolyn Goh, MD (USA), and Cheng-Ming Chuong, MD, PhD (USA), the sessions and workshops will cover an array of topics ranging from new diagnostic approaches to research in hair biology that is paving the way for a greater understanding of why hair loss occurs.
Among topics to be presented at the ISHRS World Congress:
- Innovations in Follicular Unit Excision (FUE) with distinguished faculty reviewing novel aspects of this widely used surgical procedure, including the latest research and studies regarding graft survival and the advantages of using specific techniques and instruments.
- Body Hair Transplantationcontinues to gain momentum around the world, with eyebrow and facial hair transplants trending. A diverse panel of experts will present the latest techniques and unique concepts for non-scalp transplants, including a review of eyelash transplants and using beard and body hair as an important donor source.
- Hair Follicle Physiology and Growth Factors present a better understanding of the molecular biology of the skin and hair follicle in relation to not only hair loss, but other medical conditions as well. Highlights include how follicular grafts on a thermal burn injury promoted rapid healing with unexpected hair growth patterns, as well as preliminary observations of hair transplants for the treatment of psoriasis, a chronic skin disease.
- Chemotherapy Induced Alopecia and Female Pattern Hair Losswill be addressed by a diverse panel of experts, including assessing the best treatment options for the growing number of people experiencing these types of hair loss. In addition, combining non-surgical therapies with hair restoration for treating female pattern hair loss will be presented.
- Popular Non-Surgical Adjunctive Treatmentswill be reviewed with updates on their short- and long-term effects, including photobiomodulation (PBM), minoxidil, finasteride, microneedling, and nutraceuticals. The science behind hair care products will also provide practical information that can be used when evaluating choices in this crowded consumer goods market.