- The Death of Fillers and Neuromodulators?
- News + Trends
- Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy
- SkinPen from Bellus Medical
- Products Update
- Women in Aesthetics
- In Focus: Hacks
- 10 Social Media Hacks You Need to Use Right Now
- Understanding Field of Effect of Botulinum Toxins
- Make Sense of Millennial Patients
- Fix These Website Flaws Now
- How Skin Typing May Simplify Product Dispensing
- Six Shorr-Fire Ways to Save (and Make) Money For Your Practice
- Framing and Behavioral Economics: A Meta-Hack for Your Cosmetic Practice
- Board Forum | Hack Your Practice: Save Time and Money
- Deoxycholate Injection Lipolysis of Flank Fat in a Healthy Male Patient
- The Perils of Parallel Importation
- You Think You Want To Blog. So What Do You Do?
- Managing in Challenging Times
- Five Things to Consider Before You Invest in Life Insurance
- Time Hacks: Learnings from Two Decades in the Tech Start-up World
- Coming & Going
Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy
With Payam Saadat, MD
In each edition, Modern Aesthetics® magazine asks top cosmetic physicians about the newest cosmeceuticals that they are offering to their patients. Here, Payam Saadat, MD, a dermatologist at Skin & Beauty Center in Southern California, tells us all about Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy from Topix Pharmaceuticals, Inc., and why this has quickly become his go-to for notoriously hard-to-treat Keratosis Pilaris (KP).
What is Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy?
Payam Saadat, MD: The Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy is a new topical preparation made by Topix Pharmaceuticals to treat keratosis pilaris (KP). It contains 15% glycolic acid and 15% urea in an elegant emollient. These ingredients help exfoliate and rehydrate the skin. The KP Therapy cream also works well for xerosis and ichthyosis. Our office has been using the Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy since the beginning of the year.
How does this compare to other products that treat KP?
Dr. Saadat: KP is very difficult to treat. There aren’t many great options on the market, and most preparations come in a multi-step kit which reduces compliance. The Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP Therapy is an easy-to-use, elegant topical preparation that is applied directly to the area twice daily. It works quickly. Patients see results within two weeks.
How have patients responded to Glycolix Glyco-Urea KP?
Dr. Saadat: Most patients with KP have tried numerous products and are always looking for something better. Most products on the market don’t work well and don’t produce results quickly. The KP therapy is easy to use, works well, and delivers results within two weeks. Patients gain confidence and enhance their quality of life by being able to wear sleeveless dresses and shorts, which is something that the skin disease KP kept them from doing in the past.
What does the research tell us about the product’s efficacy?
Dr. Saadat: The studies focused on patients using Glycol-Urea cream twice daily for several months with regular two-week checkups. Even before the first visit, they showed rapid results. Patients told me it took away their embarrassment and they finally could dress as they wanted, and they felt much more comfortable. Patient assessments in a clinical study revealed results after only four weeks, and 86 percent of patients agreed that:
• Appearance of KP improved
• Skin feels softer and smoother
• Skin texture (bumps, dry, flaking skin) is improved.
Anything else doctors should know about the product?
Dr. Saadat: The product sells itself. Topix Pharmaceuticals offers private labels for doctors. You put your logo on it—which means you can give your patients a cream you believe in. n