- In Focus: Doctors and Lawyers
- Informed Consent: Protecting the Patient Is Protecting Yourself
- The Best Defense Is a Good Offense
- The Five-Step Protocol to Prepare for the Physician Payment Sunshine Act
- New HIPAA Rules: What You Need To Know
- Embezzlement and Fraud: Protect Your Practice
- Body Rejuvenation in Perspective
- Beyond Fat Reduction: RF Therapy for Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Editor’s Message
- News & Trends
- Targeting Adult Female Acne
- New in My Practice: Devices
- New in My Practice: Cosmeceuticals
- New Products
- Build Accountability in Your Practice
- Employing Technology for More Personalized Care to Aesthetic Patients
- Master Effective Communication in Aesthetic Business Relationships
- Text Messaging
- Text Messaging
- How to Select the Best Credit Card Vendor
- Juvederm Voluma XC Moves Closer to Market
- Pain Relief for Next April 15th: Four Tax-Saving Ideas You Can Do Now
- 5 Online Marketing Tips for Your Aesthetic Practice
- Checklists Can Improve Patient Safety
- News And Trends
Checklists Can Improve Patient Safety
From Viscot Medical
Is it really that simple? Standard Written Checklists Can Improve Patient Safety.
Checklists have the power to help keep us organized, but do they also have the power to save lives?
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) has found that in a crisis situation such as when a patient experiences cardiac arrest or other crisis during surgery doctors, nurses, and other OR staff are nearly 75% less likely to miss a critical clinical step when provided a written safety checklist [AHRQ Press Release].
Another checklist created by the Joint Commission was designed to help put an end to ‘Never Events’ in the OR, but even with this effective solution in place 4,000 Never Events occur annually in the U.S. alone [Surgical Never Events In the United States].
Checklist can help make the OR safer but they can only do so much. It’s up to health care providers to follow their list every time and up to us to create the safety solutions to make the job easier.
Viscot Medical may not create checklist but we do create safety innovations to help end Never Events like wrong site surgery. Innovations like a prep resistant ink to assure that the surgical site mark is clearly visible, as required by the Joint Commission, even after prepping with common alcohol based antiseptic like ChloraPrep®